Well hello!! It’s been well over a year since I’ve posted….funny how I thought that I’d have the time/motivation to keep this going as a new mom!! Anyway, we’re now the parents of a 16 month old toddler, and she’s just the best thing ever. Happy, silly, and super curious…which is what led us to our most current project: an Activity Tower!
If you’ve done any research on these, you know that they are not cheap! We also have a pretty small kitchen, so I wasn’t super excited about working my way around a giant structure every day. So naturally, I turned to Pinterest.
IKEA Hack to the rescue!! We used this tutorial! I loved how sleek it looked having all the side pieces lined up. However, since this tutorial was published, the size of the platform part of the stool has changed slightly, so I’ll include the new measurements here, as well as a few things we learned along the way 🙂 NOTE: I still love how ours looks! However, there are other options for this same hack, that have the horizontal support beams on the outside of the vertical beams, giving your kiddo a little more space at the top. If I had thought that through all the way, I think I would have gone that route instead! Just food for thought 🙂
- As long as IKEA doesn’t change the product again, the measurement of the top step of the stool are 14 1/4″ X 9 1/2″.
- The Home Depot near me only had 8′ long 1X2 and 1X3s, so I made the cuts from that size instead of the 6′.
- From the 1X2, you will need four 15 1/2″ lengths
- From the 1X3, you will need four 6 1/2″ lengths, and two 12 3/4″ lengths
- I used a 5/8″ round dowel, bc they were out of the 1/2″ rounds, and it worked just fine. You’ll need 12 3/4″ cut from that.
- As for the nails, Home Depot and Ace didn’t carry #6 wood screws that were 2 1/4″ long. I’m sure I could have ordered them online somewhere, but I was impatient 🙂 We used #8 2 1/2″ screws. If you’re using pine, it’s recommended that you pre-drill, and countersink your screws, especially if you can’t find the #6 size. Plus, countersinking gives you a nice, clean finish.
- Get the Corner Clamp!! Totally worth it for perfectly straight angles, and definitely saves on time. I found this one at Ace Hardware for a great price. Worked like a charm.
- The color we chose was French Blue from Rust-Oleum. I picked the paint/primer in one, so we actually didn’t prime it. We went with the Satin finish, as I was worried that the Glossy would be too slippery. Satin is working great so far, and not hard to clean!
She loves it, clearly 🙂